Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lots of catching up to do!

please bear with me....

In the past two weeks I have presented for the first time at a national conference and finally completed my oral comprehensive exam. It was quite the whirlwind of a ride and i am glad it is over. I think I have a few more grey hairs and definitely gained a few pounds.

Back at the end of June I had my Proposal defense/comprehensive exam to officially become a doctoral candidate. See this post for a definition as well as the results.

I had the follow up on sept 1 and I passed! I can now call myself a doctoral candidate! This basically means that as long as I stick it out and complete my proposed research I will graduate. Not an easy task, but also not a possibility had I not made it past this hurdle.

I gave my first presentation at a national conference just a few days prior to that. I am not sure I have ever been so close to vomiting from sheer nerves. I was the first to present in the session which means I had more time to figure out how the mic worked and to make sure my presentation was ready to go. The moderator introduced me and I started talking and then it was over. I had a few questions at the end, but nothing I couldn't handle!

I am not longer a podium presentation virgin! Wooo Hoooo!

The GF came up last wed to help me celebrate. I attempted to get a little work done thursday and friday, but was distracted and ended up taking off early on friday. I celebrated and caught up around the house all weekend and am just now getting settled back into a "normal" routine.

I have had this stupid comprehensive exam hanging over my head since the beginning of may when I set the first date. It feels SOOO good to have that behind me!

Now I need to go appologize for being a crazy stressed out bitch to all of my friends and family...



It was a gorgeous week in PA!

1 comment:

  1. Could you have possibly crammed anything else into that last two weeks?

    Congratulations on passing, well done you! I hope you celebrated properly.

    ReplyDelete