Friday, September 18, 2009

Fresh?

I was walking over to the hospital to get some coffee and was behind a family going to grab lunch. I was evesdropping...

They were discussing where to eat. The daughter liked chik-fil-a the best, but the mother refused to eat there. She didn't like the fact that this particular chick-fil-a, which is within the hospital cafeteria, cooked their food at another location and then brought it in. The food was therefore not "fresh". They decided to eat at Mcdonalds instead....

I eat fast food on occasion, but really....you are eating over processed food anyhow that is about as far away from fresh as you can get...and mcdonalds is your next best option?????

Sorry, I am by myself in the lab today and so no one was around to tell that story to...

I was riding the other evening and now that it is getting dark I had the arena lights on. After our workout, I turned the lights out while we cooled down to save on the electric bill.

It took a while for my eyes to adjust and I couldn't see very well. It made me much more attuned to the sounds around me; Belmonts hooves crunching in the sand, the insect night life, the train in the distance, the kids playing up at the house.

It made me wonder, if I could choose, whether I would rather loose my sight or my hearing. I decided I would rather loose my hearing than my sight. I need my independence. I would miss hearing alot though. I asked the GF which one she would prefer to loose if she had the choice and she said her sense of smell...

The Gf has a friend that dates a woman who is deaf. We went to her birthday party and most of the people that were there were deaf and lesbians. They are both such small subsets of the population that I never imagined going to a party with like 20 women that are both deaf and homosexual. I can't imagine how many obstacles they have had to overcome in their life! It also made me wonder how much the evolution of texting has changed their lives...or if maybe that is where the technology stemmed from. I'm a dork...shut up.

One more random issue.

My roomate has been cutting her hair shorter and shorter. A guy she knows told her she looked like a dyke. I think this should be a compliment, but she did not take it as such. Even living with me, she picked up the adjective and thought it would be appropriate to use in a deragatory manner. It has been plucking my nerves. She was having a bad hair day the other day and referred to hair as being 'dyked up'. It took everything I had for me not to punch her. Instead I was like 'That is really offensive to me, ya know?!?!'. She gave me a sincere appology and hasn't used it since. Yay for using my words.

Ok. I'm done rambling. Gotta go search the messy lab for some lost items...that I was not the last one to touch, but I am sure I will get blamed.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! My next post will be full of pictures I hope. My costume for my cousins b-day party is ready to go. It was fun to make minus a few hot glue burns!

2 comments:

  1. This post is hilarious.
    the McDonald's story is priceless -
    (We'll go anywhere except Chic Fil A on account of the Rev. Lou Dobson. Bec almost caused a riot at our school about it. That's a story for another day)

    Deaf and gay. Wow.

    The first rule with children is keep your mouth off of other peoples bodies.
    The second rule is Use Your Words! Good going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also seen a fair amount of deaf&gay personals sites, etc. I wonder if there is some deaf/gay gene connection?

    My first ever study group at law school was 2 deaf guys, 1 blind guy, and me. Because I'm a slimebag, I asked to join theirs because the deaf students got transcripts of every class, and the blind student got assignments ahead of time (so they could be turned into audio for him.) I would def take deafness over blindness - you can live an independent life (drive, etc.) as a deaf person.

    ReplyDelete