Monday, February 23, 2009

What a way to start the week...

Attended the funeral for my "barn dad" today....He was only 53...

I have ridden and boarded horses at the same farm since I was 7. I am almost 27 (yuck!). My "barn dad" along with his wife own the farm. I have seen him almost every time I went the barn for the past 20 years. I go to the barn 5-6 days a week. He always greeted me with a "Hey baby" followed by some sort of smart ass remark that made me smile. He is just one of those people who takes on that dad role for just about every person he comes in contact with.

When I was little, I didn't handle falling off so well. Kids typically fall into two groups when they are injured: the screamers and the silent type.....I was a screamer. I thought I had died every time I fell off. A few times I was actually hurt, but most of the time I was just bumped and bruised. "Barn dad" was always there to save day. A screaming child sends most mothers into a frantic state, rendering them useless. He would always remain cool and calm. On multiple occasions he would arrive from nowhere the moment I fell off. He would scoop me up, brush the dirt off, and tell me I was going to be OK. I believed him...

He was also there the day my mother had her accident. My mother was thrown from a horse and hit her head so hard she had a brain injury. She was unconscious. "Barn dad" and my mom's best friend were there. He, like always, was at her side almost the instant she hit the ground. While my mothers friend lost her shit, "barn dad" made sure she was breathing and called 911. He also grabbed her cell phone and started calling my father and I...

He was just one of those compassionate people who took very good care of his family and cared deeply for his friends. He strived to put a smile on every ones face (even if it was with dirty jokes that sometimes made me wince). He was willing to do anything for anyone. A man told a story today about how "barn dad" put his house up to get the guy out of jail. He told him that he believed in him...That is just one example. I could really go on for quite a while.

Anyhow, I am going to miss him. It is weird to think that he will not be there to greet me anymore...

1 comment: