I'm not gonna lie. I am not liking this time in my life.
I got another offer for a post-doc position. Which I should be celebrating...but of course there is always a downside.
Pros of this offer:
The GF and I could live in the same city, but I wouldn't have time to do much outside of working on my phD or working in the lab.
I would still be poor, but the position pays better than most post-docs. (although I would be making just above what is considered poverty level in this geographical area)
I would still be relatively close to my family (although it is not a permanent position)
Its a 2 year position...I can do anything for two years....right?
I've always said I needed to try out another lab to figure out if this research thing is for me.
Cons:
I would have to move in one month, start a new job and then proceed to try and finish my phD.
I don't know a whole lot about this guy or the environment I would be working in.
I would have to either sell or lease my horse till at least I am done with my phD.
I may go 10,000 or more into debt because I will be breaking a contract and have to pay grant money back.
I would be separated from my friends and family during this very stressful time in my life.
My advisors advice (keep in mind this is a 45min converstion reduced to one sentence) is that I should counter offer this guy and tell him to give me more time to make more progress on my dissertation but start working for him earlier than I had previously said I would be available.
I don't think my adivsor thinks I should take the offer and I think he knows the guy won't like my counter offer.
Is my advisor being unbiased?????? I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!
WTF do I do?!?!?!
* I reserve the right to continue adding to the list of pros and cons. Hopefully my answer will reveal itself...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment